Name + title: Jill Schnarr, Vice-president, Community Affairs, TELUS
Why supporting other women is paramount to Jill:
– Another woman’s success is not your sign of failure. Let’s help each other advance personally and professionally.
– There is strength in numbers. We need more good women leaders in the ‘water supply, so we become commonplace.
– We’re all in this together. I think Nelson Mandela said it best: “No single person can liberate a country. You can only liberate a country if you act as a collective.”
Here's how we at TELUS support women: I have the privilege of leading an initiative I’m very proud of: Connections, the TELUS women’s network. I don’t think there is another corporate women’s group of this size and scope in Canada. Introduced in 2006, Connections supports the professional development of women at TELUS. Connections’ vision is for TELUS to be an employer of choice for women – empowering them, inspiring success and celebrating diversity.
Today, Connections has 10 chapters across Canada and more than 3,000 dynamic members, including 400 frontline team members, who connect with each other at networking events, volunteer together in their communities and participate in leadership development opportunities.
More than 100 Connections members have had the unique opportunity to be mentored by many of Canada’s brightest and most accomplished women in business – thanks to the TELUS-supported WXN Wisdom Top 100 mentoring program. Each program participant meets with her mentor once every three months for one year. Wisdom Top 100 also offers four classroom sessions plus opportunities for peer networking.
We also profile high performing and high potential women at TELUS to demonstrate the value they bring to our team, our customers and our community.
As well, TELUS supports and takes part in the Women’s Leadership Circle at the Vancouver Board of Trade, bringing together like-minded women to make a difference.
Words to live by:
– “The task of leadership is not to put greatness into people, but to elicit it, for the greatness is there already.” – John Buchan
– “And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” – Nelson Mandela
– “The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” – Confucius
– “People will hate you, rate you, shake you, and break you. But how strong you stand is what makes you.” – Will Smith
Tweet Jill! @jillschnarr
Marketer, philanthropist, innovator, soccer & hockey mom, health addict, women's advocate
An inspiration to me: I feel so lucky to have met Jill. She has been an incredible source of inspiration and support to me over the last two years. We met at a Women's Leadership Circle event and she was one of those woman that makes you wonder “how does she do it????”. I really admire Jill for all her achievements – not only professionally and philanthropically but personally too! She is a super-mom – encouraging her son's in their sports, a dynamic and accomplished business woman and someone who puts the professional development of other women – first and foremost. When I think about women I look up to – Jill hits the top of the list. I am so happy to feature her in our “women making a difference”!