25 reasons to attend Business in Vancouver's 40 Under 40 Awards
Blog post by: Jen Schaeffers, Founder NetworkinginVan.com
I attended last year's 40 Under 40 Awards with the fabulous Katie Schaeffers and we had the privilege to sit at winner's Nicole Garton-Jones table. Although we didn't know Nicole at the time, we were quickly welcomed as part of the family and cheered loudly when she accepted her award.
The 40 Under 40 Awards is one of Vancouver's premiere networking opportunities – care to rub shoulders with Vancouver's most prominent, creative and brilliant entrepreneurs and professionals? Don't mind if I do! There are plenty of great opportunities to chat with winners and guests alike. Be sure to arrive early and mingle during the cocktail reception, bring business cards and put your networking skills to the test.
Check out profiles from this year's 40 Under 40 Award Recipients and prepare to be inspired!
Wednesday, January 25th from 6:15 pm to 9:00 pm at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel.
Just in case you need some additional reasons to attend the event, I've provided just a few below:
1. The Fairmont Waterfront is one of the best hotels in Vancouver, with the best food. This night will not disappoint the palate so come hungry.
2. Business in Vancouver search high and low for their prestigious recipients, and 2011 is no exception! Some of Vancouver's best and brightest will be recognized and awarded.
3. One of the better run gala's and networking events I have been to – they run a tight ship and don't dilly dally on the distribution of awards.
4. Andrea Baxter: Oprah anyone? Andrea is one of the co-founder's of the Smart Cookies and also finds time to run her own company, Bratface Marketing. I have met Andrea a few times and she is impressive. Only 34, Andrea has a creative entrepreneurial spirit and is very involved with the Forum for Women Entrepreneurs (one of my fave women's associations in the city).
5. ‘Tis the gala season! You can get away with business casual at this event or get glitz up for the special occasion. I am still coveting Nicole Garton-Jones dress from last year.
6. Opportunity to network with not only the best and brightest in Vancouver, but their colleagues, family and friends!
7. $150 is a damn good price for a gala ticket in Vancouver these days.
8. Get inspired and motivated by hearing stories from some of the most successful business professionals in Vancouver.
9. Matt Fraser: Who doesn't love yYoga? Matt has grown Yyoga from a startup to a seven-outlet chain of yoga studios with 350 staff and $8.5 million in revenue. Yowsa!! Sounds like he has his sun salutations down.
10. 40 Under 40 Alumni attend – more fantastic people to learn and be inspired by!
11. Stephen Jagger: If you're on twitter, you have probably heard of Steve. He was an early adopter (I still remember him giving me advice years ago that I should get on twitter, advice taken Steve, thanks!) Steve is the definition of successful entrepreneur. From author, to speaker, world-traveler and business developer, Steve is one busy guy. Ubertor and Reachd.com are just a few of his businesses. Check out more here.
12. Show your support for some of Vancouver's hardest working entrepreneurs and business professionals.
13. Opportunity to get covered in the Socialist in BC Business Magazine! Love their pics 🙂
14. Learn what it takes to make the list and start to cultivate your strategic plan to be on it in years to come!
15. Amielle Lake: this woman kicks butt. I had the pleasure of sitting next to Amielle years ago at the FWE gala and could immediately tell this woman meant business. I LOVE meeting women like this….talk about inspiration. Amielle is only 31 and runs an incredibly successful mobile company called Tagga Media. Competitive swimmer, marathon runner, supporter of women in business…wait, there's more…read here.
16. The event is over 20 years long and has often been the first major award for some of BC's and Canada's most successful business professionals.
17. I love Business in Vancouver, keeps me updated on all the latest and greatest in my favourite city in the whole wide world.
18. Val Litwin: this man has style! SNAP. I met Val very briefly at a recent movie premiere, introduced by the lovely Jillian Walker (who is sure to be on the list next year or the following since she recently relocated to Vancouver) and he lives up to his reputation. Warm, sincere, funny and successful as hell. Val is the VP of Franchise Operations for Nurse Next Door and former guru of Blo Hair Dry Bar. But why I really love him is for his philanthropic endeavours – he started this incredible group called the Kindness Crew Society, a group raising the profile of a social movement dedicated to acts of kindness. Um, hello? How cool are you. Mad props to Val. Yes, Val, I will be the one in the back whooping and hollering when you collect your award. Admiration and mad respect from afar.
19. Who doesn't love to network on a Wednesday night??
20. Jillian Walker promises she will be there. And she's awesome. If you're not following her on twitter, you could be one of the few.
21. I'll be there too! We can chat about all the different networking groups in the city, and the events you MUST ATTEND.
22. It's the evening after NetworkinginVan.com's “Keys to Networking Success” so you can use all the tools you learned and put them to use!
23. Expand your network, grow your contact list, add new friends to Linkedin and stay connected for the future.
24. Rebecca Shields: Yay! A women from non-profit makes the list. I find this a HUGE source of inspiration given my new position with the CKNW Orphans' Fund. Rebecca is the Executive Director of the Canadian Mental Health Association, is a fundraiser extraordinaire and helped the CMHA win a $400,000 annual contract from the Fraser Health Authority toward a new rehabilitation and recovery-focused program for the mentally ill in Burnaby. I love people making a difference in this world.
25. Last year there was this incredible chocolate cake for dessert, need I say more?
Looking forward to seeing you all there. Don't forget to purchase your tickets soon, it's sure to sell out!