The Burnaby Business Excellence Awards Gala is Burnaby’s premiere night of celebrating businesses and organizations in the local community. This year, I had the good fortune of attending as a finalist on behalf of my company; the event happened on November 7 at the Hilton Metrotown. The networking was fantastic, kicking off with a casual cocktail hour and moving to the formal, sit-down dinner. It’s a great opportunity to rub shoulders with finalists, sponsors, and other prominent members of the Burnaby business community and beyond. The awards are a joint initiative between the Burnaby Board of Trade and The City of Burnaby.
The MCs were Steve Darling and Kaitlyn Herbst – Global BC, as I discovered, is headquartered right here in Burnaby. Thanks to the efficient BboT staff, the night was well-run and on time. We started off with a video message with his Worship Derek Corrigan, the Mayor of Burnaby, put together by my talented team at Gloo Studios.
After a 3-course meal and great conversation with my table, the awards began in earnest. Congratulations to the following awesome businesses:
– Pacific Blue Cross, Family Friendly Organization
– Scotiabank, Burnaby Community Spirit
– Teradici, Business Innovation
– Gloo Studios, Entrepreneurial Spirit
– Gourmet Baker, Environmental Sustainability
– Computers for Schools, Not-For-Profit Organization of the Year
– Mark Bodie of Habitat Systems, Business Person of the Year
– West Pacific Consulting Group, Small Business of the Year
– Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers, Business of the Year
– G&F Financial Group, Burnaby Hall of Fame Inductee
This is hands down, my favourite networking event in Burnaby. Here are some tips from the field:
– Dress to impress! This is a big night and black tie appropriate. You definitely don’t want to be showing up in jeans! Here are some pictures from this year’s event.
– Have enough business cards on hand – there are some fantastic connections to be made, and you definitely don’t want to run short and miss out.
– Do your research – find out which businesses and organizations are finalists before the night. It’s a great conversation starter!