22 June 2012
8:00 AM to 12:40 PM
Location: SFU Goldcorp Centre for the Arts Theatre, 149 West Hastings Street
Ticket Cost: $25
Join the City of Vancouver and our key partner Vancouver Coastal Health as we discuss the development of a bold and ambitious plan for social sustainability for the City of Vancouver – the Healthy City Strategy.
Moderated by Vancouver’s Chief Librarian, Sandra Singh, ‘Healthy People, Healthy City’ will feature:
- The Way to a Healthy City is Through its Belly: Vancouver’s Neighbourhood Food Network Movement. Zsuzsi Fodor, Community Developer & Food Systems Consultant, and Wendy Mendes, Social Policy, City of Vancouver
- RainCity Housing: Creating Opportunities for Healthier Housing. Bill Briscall, Communications Manager, RainCity Housing and Support Society
- CitizenU: young leaders tackling racism, discrimination and bullying. Steven Dang, Social Policy, City of Vancouver with participants from CitizenU
- Improving Methadone Maintenance Therapy Through Courage and Collaboration. Laura Shaver, Vice-President, Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users (VANDU) with Mary Clare Zak, Director, Social Policy, City of Vancouver
- Strategic Partnerships to Increase Employment for Aboriginal People. John Webster, CEO, Aboriginal Community Career Employment Services Society (ACCESS) with Paul Mochrie, General Manager, Human Resources, City of Vancouver
- SACY – an Uncommon Approach to Drug Abuse Prevention. Art Steinmann, Manager, Substance Abuse Prevention (SACY), Vancouver School Board
- Compulsive Hoarding, not just a TV show. Lynn Urekar, Property Use Inspector, City of Vancouver
- Walking the Talk: Mobility, Health and the Built Environment. Joanie Sims-Gould, PhD, Research Associate, Knowledge Translation, Centre for Hip Health and Mobility with Meghan Winters, PhD, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences, Simon Fraser University
Keynote speaker Andre Picard, award-winning public health reporter at The Globe and Mail and acclaimed public policy consultant.
A panel discussion with leaders in health and social sustainability including:
- Romi Chandra Herbert – PeerNetBC, Coordinator & Community Developer
- Trevor Hancock – University of Victoria, Professor and Senior Scholar
- Lynda Gray – Urban Native Youth Association, Executive Director
- Patty Daly – Vancouver Coast Health, Chief Medical Health Officer
- Andrew Petter – President and Vice-Chancellor, Simon Fraser University
We look forward to sharing our Healthy People, Healthy City vision on Friday, June 22, 2012 from 8:30am to 12:45pm. (Check-in open at 8am) at SFU’s Goldcorp Centre for the Arts.
For more info on the City of Vancouver’s Healthy City Strategy, please click here.